So, yes, I understand that this is not one but TWO days late. Count yourselves lucky because I sent my brother-in-law's birthday card two WEEKS late. Yeah, I felt a little bad about that one. Brian, I promise I know when your birthday is. It is November 4th. I just am bad at getting my act together to address an envelope and buy and card and stuff. But, anyway, Brother, I love you.
So, today I realized that I was ridiculous and this is why. I looked into my fridge to decide what I wanted to eat for breakfast. I do not know why I even bother. I know I am going to have cereal with milk like always, but I like the option. So, I looked in the door to grab the milk, and I found not one, not two, but THREE open bottles of BBQ sauce. I don't even eat Bar-B-Que often. Really, it is when my mom calls me and says, "Hey, do you want ribs?" My answer is always, "Obviously." So, I don't even MAKE the ribs, I just devour them. I think it was from when I made the Lil' Smokies (a.k.a. wieners, but that word weirds me out. Beyond the obvious reasons, but I just think that it is the diphthong of vowels. Diphthong also weirds me out, but I will let bigons be bigons. I also think that that word sounds like bison; that's just an observation). Wow, that was a long and mildly unnecessary aside. Sort of like all of Hamlet. All you see is Aside and then 14-28 lines of monologue. As in, what the hell is he talking about. I don't know. Moving on.
Alright, here are ten things that make me smile:
1. Children's Museums. So freaking cool. I realized, however, that I still need ridiculous validation. While Laura, Gabe, Amy and Dom were woodworking and using tools, my mom and I played with blocks, magnets, and boards to create mazes. As I was working on my giant board, all I remember thinking was, "Oh my Gosh, this is SO cool. I can't wait to show my mom. She's going to love it so much." Then, I realized that I was thinking like a five year old. I am comfortable with that.
2. Subway lunch with a dear friend.
3. All purpose cleaner, and the smell it leaves after you've cleaned your house.
4. Fall colors and boots.
5. Packers being 10 and 0. For obvious reasons.
6. A five year old telling me a story about how he was hunting dinosaurs;
Gabe: I am not fibbing, I promise!
Kat(i)e: Are you fibbing about fibbing?
Gabe: Giant smile and a little deceptive laugh
7. Sharing my tangrams with a ____ year old man (greater than 45 less than 56) who is not my father (enjoy Bruce!)
8. Reading the St. Norbert College magazine and seeing my residents' faces and names pop up about all of the amazing things they're doing. It makes a mama proud. Congrats Carrie! I love you.
9. Reading. Everything.
10. And getting excited every time I see my favorite teacher from high school. Setting up coffee with her, and realizing that real friends are those with whom you connect on multiple layers that transcend time, space and all other physical boundaries we place upon ourselves.