Sunday, March 11, 2012

So, I saw a fanny pack today

Aaaaaaaand, I was able to snap a pic.

So, in Busan (really, in India) there is a festival called Holi.  It is a festival to welcome spring, new life, and love.  It was such a jarring experience.  I think it was the biggest culture shock I have ever had.  I was there for five minutes when a man I have never seen before comes up to me with a handful of colored powder, put it on my face and said, "Happy Holi!"  After that, it was just a free for all.  There were so many paints, so many colors.  There was so much love and camaraderie.  I was overwhelmed at the incredible amount of people.

I think my favorite part of the day was spying someone rocking the fanny pack.  she was just dancing around and hanging out, and there it was.  Wearing a fanny exactly where a fanny should be worn.  Right in front mid waist height.  She was awesome!!  So,  I crept up and said, "Hey, umm, my friends back home are obsessed with fanny packs.  Would it be weird if I took a picture of it/you?"  She gratefully responded, "Aw, yeah, girl of course!  Who doesn't love a good fanny."  So, fanny packs are a phenomena that will never be erased.  Not in America, not in Korea, for sure not in Europe, those cats are crazy!  So, Fanny Packs 4eva!


So, this is a poem I wrote to try to capture some sort of sense of what I experienced today.  Don't judge.  It is just a baby in its first draft.  If you have any suggestions, by all means, please do.


celebration

arms raised with unabandoned joy
gritty sand buries my feet
paint on my face, dancing like a fool
at the Holi celebration preparing for Spring

the gritty sand burying my feet
reminds me of a time spent in childhood dreams.
as the Holi celebration prepares for spring,
love brushes the air with one giant stroke.

the time spent in childhood dreams
brings me to a place of simplicity and joy.
love brushes across the air
as I run, dance, and sing for joy.

a place of simplicity and joy
surrounded by friends and strangers
who run, dance, and sing for joy
and paint my face a brilliant collage.

friends and strangers
come together in circles and lines
painting a brilliant collage
of bodies moving as one person.

all of us who come together in circles and lines
meld culture, gender and race.
the bodies move as one.
a forgotten view of humanity.

we meld culture, gender, and race
to create something new and entirely our own.
a view of humanity. forgotten. 
in doing so, we are made perfect.

creating something new and entirely our own
takes communication, understanding, and respect.
in that, we are made perfect.
exactly in God’s image.

communication, understanding and respect
comes from deep within our hearts,
exactly in God’s image
with our arms raised in unabandoned joy.


So, that was the painting part.  I was sooooooooo dirty.  Some of my friends came prepared and were wearing swimming suits, just in case they jumped into.  Now, it is March.  It is still around 50 degrees.  It is an ocean.  I was looking at them like they were crazy folks.  

Then, as I was talking to them praising their audacity, my friend Mari runs up and says, "Hey, I want to go swimming, but I need a buddy."  I responded with, "No way, man.  It is so freaking cold.  That's absurd.  I also don't have a suit..."  She said that she was just going to drop trou and go in her underpants.  So, there I was, giving into peer pressure like I always do.  So, I took off my shirt (I was wearing a cami) and took off my pants and was standing around in my skivvies.  And, I knew that I could go in toe by toe.  This was a full submersion mission.  So, I tagged her and ran away.  I ran right into the water, came up and sprayed water out of my mouth like a dolphin. 

After about 30 seconds, my legs were numb and all of the hair I just shaved off of them was back and healthy.  We paddled around for a while, discussing how much we miss being in and near water.  And, even the fact that this is freezing, it is the most we've felt alive.  Then, my friend Brian joins, and sure not to be out done, Steve barrels in as well (I think it may have been because I called him a pansy...) Anyway, none of us were prepared.  So, there we were, the four of us, swimming around in the freezing ocean in nothing but out underpants.  Afterward, we took a picture to commemorate this awesome event.  People who don't even know me came up to me saying that I had balls of steel, and that I am a true rock star, which I think is completely appropriate.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.
    leather men belt bag

    ReplyDelete